To configure a web part, click on the blue bar containing the name of the web part you wish to configure.
To edit content, select any of the editable regions below.
Marin Country Club Amenities:
History of Marin Country Club:
- Par 72 John Harbottle Golf Course (renovated in 2008)
- Driving Range and Chipping Area (renovated in 2010)
- 5,700 Square Foot Putting Green
- 4 lit Tennis Courts
- Fitness Center
- 4-pPol Aquatic Facility complete with Adult Pool Area
- Fine Dining
- Pub Dining
- Social Events
- 8-Week Summer Day Camp
- Entire Department devoted to the Youth at Marin Country Club
In 1956, Paul Trousdale of Beverly Hills, purchased from his close friend, Louis Petri, the Petri-Paganni Ranch. The ranch owners had kept approximately 500 head of cattle and primarily used the property for horseback riding and recreation as one family lived in San Francisco and one in San Rafael. The ranch was purchased for $754,000 to create a residential development surrounding a Championship Golf Course. The name of the total project when originally conceived in 1956 was the Marin Golf and Sports Club. The plan included a 180 room hotel facility to be built in the area which is now Domingo Canyon. In that year under the guidance of John Dawson, a well-known amateur golfer and developer of the Thunderbird Country Club and El Dorado Country Club of Palm Springs, Lawrence Marion Hughes was hired by Trousdale to design the course. Other courses Hughes had designed were LaQuinta Country Club, Desert Inn Country Club, and later the Round Hill Country Club. In 1957 the idea for the Hotel-Sports facility was dropped, and the name was changed to Marin Golf Club.
The grading of the course was completed in the winter of 1957 and seeding the spring of 1958. In April of 1958, the sum of $250,000 was allocated for the construction of a small clubhouse. Gordon Walker, who was the sales manager for the real estate, served as the Club Manager the first year.
It was in 1957, before the Club opened, when a salesman from Diamond Match Company in San Francisco approached management and offered to provide, free of charge, a logo with an order for 10,000 matches. A shield motif became the original logo. When the Club expanded in 1959, the name was changed to Marin Country Club.
The course opened on September 20, 1958 and at that time there was no paved road to the clubhouse, a septic tank was constructed under the 1st tee, water was pumped from the lake and chlorine filtered and the electricity was provided by a diesel generator that was hand started by Eddie Bettini who later became the Club Manager. The course was heavily rocked and the grass took time to grow. A system was devised of giving members “Brice Brothers” grocery sacks to gather rocks and return them to the clubhouse for a free drink. At the time Fred O’Bannon and Gordon Walker came up with the idea of a newsletter and called it “The Sandtrap”. The Club began with 78 members and the following year the membership grew to 227 and the owners were forced to expand the clubhouse.
The pool area (approximately 2 acres) was developed as a fill area from the San Jose creek which flowed through the ranch. Three of the Club’s five lakes were constructed. In 1959 the owners, Paul Trousdale and Clint Murchinson, Jr. of Dallas (later the owner of the Dallas Cowboys) visualized the area for the pool facilities. The original cabana area was a concept taken directly from the exclusive Bel Air Bay Club in Santa Monica on the Pacific Ocean. The cabanas were designed identical to theirs and the construction was awarded to “Custom Builders of Marin” - (owned by one of the Club’s members at that time) William Parnow.
From it's early inception, Members of the Club have enjoyed events, such as the Halloween Golf Car Parade, the Bogey Lane Memorial Day Go-Cart Races, the New Year’s Day Christmas Tree Burning, and many more. Memorable traditions of the past, and the best of today, make Marin Country Club a wonderful Club for all ages.